Sunday, August 16, 2009

Traditional Black Beans

This is a base recipe I use when we make Mexican food. It pairs really nice with Spanish yellow rice. I don't usually follow the recipe exactly, but throw in some variations of my own, but this will get you started.


Ingredients:
1 Tbs. Olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup diced tomato (you can use a can of diced or stewed tomatoes also)
1 can black beans, drain and reserve juice
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
3 Tbs. cider vinegar

Pair with 2 cups cooked rice, Serves 4

In large skillet heat olive oil, cook onion and green pepper until crisp and tender. Stir in tomatoes, beans, thyme and garlic salt. Cook 3 minutes, add vinegar, and reserved juice. Continue to cook 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

Tips: I usually double the recipe (two cans of beans to one can of diced tomatoes). I also use chopped garlic, cumin and oregano to taste. It comes out a little different every time because I usually wing it, but the base ingredients make a good combination. Adding lime juice also adds nice flavor as well. A couple limes usually do it. Of course you can add other types of peppers if you want to heat it up a bit, like a Hungarian wax or Poblano. I also usually let the beans simmer for longer, which allows them to break down. A little mashing creates more of a refried bean consistency. It's great with chips, rice or as a burrito. Enjoy.

1 comments:

LUKE AND MONICA said...

Yay!!! I have been patiently waiting for this to be posted! I am so excited to make it. Thanks for posting it and the fish recipe.